Monday, May 25, 2009
Fire Damages Hillsboro Duplex
A one-alarm fire late Sunday night caused extensive damage to a Hillsboro duplex. Hillsboro Fire and Rescue responded to the blaze at 11:29 pm at 155 NE Edison Street after a neighbor called 9-1-1 and reported seeing flames coming from one of the units. When the first arriving firefighters from the downtown Hillsboro Fire Station #1 arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the east side of the older duplex residence, with flames extending into the attic space. The lone occupant of the front apartment was still inside. 59-year old Sue Hughes was exiting the apartment as firefighters began attacking the flames. She reported one of two dogs she had in her home remained inside. Firefighters entered the apartment, located the small dog, and quickly brought it out to safety. The rear apartment was unoccupied.
Firefighters from Hillsboro Fire and Rescue, along with an engine company from Washington County Fire District #2, brought the flames under control in about 20-minutes. No one was injured.
Hughes told firefighters that she was asleep when she awoke to a loud popping noise. Moments later, her smoke alarm activated. She went to the kitchen to investigate and found the curtains and wall engulfed in flames. She escaped unharmed.
The fire heavily damaged the rear apartment, caused some moderate damage to the kitchen of Hughes apartment and produced light smoke damage to the rest of her home. Due to the damage in her apartment, Hughes will be staying with a relative. She had no renters insurance.
Fire investigators are examining the evidence at the scene and will interview witnesses to determine the origin and cause of the fire. Damage estimates are still being tallied.
Hillsboro Fire and Rescue reminds you to ensure your smoke alarms work properly by testing them monthly. Additionally, every home should have an escape plan that every member has practiced. Have a meeting place outside, preferably in the front to ensure everyone is out. And once outside, never go back into a burning home for any reason. For more fire and life safety information, visit: www.ci.hillsboro.or.us/fire or call 503-681-6166.
Posted by Storm Smith, Information Officer at 1:39 AM