Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter Heating Safety

From Winter Heating Safety

Post holiday bills and high heating costs sometimes drive citizens to heat their homes with alternative sources. This time of year we see a spike in home heating fires caused by wood burning stoves, fireplaces and space heaters. You can reduce your chances of a heating-related fire by following these tips:

  • Ensure space heaters are kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn. They should also have a tip-over shutoff switch.

  • Have chimneys professionally inspected and cleaned each year.

  • Dispose of fireplace and wood stove ashes in a metal container–never use a paper bag or cardboard box.

  • Use a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting drapes, furniture and carpets.

  • Ensure wood stoves are properly installed.

  • Never use a range or oven to heat your home.

And, we can never mention it enough -- ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home, outside sleeping areas and, for maximum protection, one in each bedroom!

No comments: