|From Winter Heating Safety|
- Ensure space heaters are kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn. They should also have a tip-over shutoff switch.
- Have chimneys professionally inspected and cleaned each year.
- Dispose of fireplace and wood stove ashes in a metal container–never use a paper bag or cardboard box.
- Use a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting drapes, furniture and carpets.
- Ensure wood stoves are properly installed.
- Never use a range or oven to heat your home.
And, we can never mention it enough -- ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home, outside sleeping areas and, for maximum protection, one in each bedroom!